3 Tips for Finding YOUR Story [Camp NaNoWriMo Prep]

Hey again guys! Today I will be attempting to help you writers out there turn on your brain gears and figure out what you want to write about. Whether it's for Camp NaNoWriMo or another project everyone gets in a creative rut, here are 3 easy tips to find the story you really want to write about. Follow along and your writers block will just be another victim to it. 


Play "What If?"

Basically in this exercise you or a group of friends ask questions like "What if people could control gravity?" or "What if the government totally collapsed and all societies must start from scratch?"

Get fun with it, curiosity is key. Many people who have experience with writing much often say that you should only write what you know and don't try to put yourself somewhere you don't know. I disagree with that notion, for NaNoWriMo it's built especially for young writers to discover outside what they know and discover things THROUGH writing.

When playing this simple game with yourself or other people it's great to be outrageous and creative but also make it connect with something you would really be interested in writing about.

Think of Your Favorite Books

Right now I want you to put in your mind your most favorite book of ALL TIME, the book that you most absolutely love. You got it? 

Okay now I want you to think about what made that book stand out for you? What elements did the author put in the book that made you love it? Was it the romance, the mystery, the way the characters interacted with each other?

Think of what elements you want to include in your novel or what genre you find most interesting to write about. The point of this exercise is to learn from what other authors have done to create their novel. I'm not encouraging you to ask yourself for example say "What would J.K. Rowling do at this scene? What would she write?" 

I want you to take notice of what makes other books special and write your novel with your own ideas and stand out at the same time. Trust your own instincts, and be inspired by other peoples.

Think of What Themes Interest You

This kind of goes along with thinking about your favorite book but this time I want you to ponder about what themes you want to include in your story.

True Love? Friendship? Law and order? Trust? I'm basically asking you to think of a lesson you would want to include. This is a time to get really personal and really dig deep inside to think about what lesson in your life so far has truly inspired you.

This is when you really ask yourself "What do I want to write about?"

You also would want to think about your own past experiences good or bad, this is where a story truly comes from. An experience that you hold close to your heart that you want to put down on paper. How can you connect that with your story?

***********************************************************************************

So those are my 3 Tips in helping you find YOUR story for NaNoWriMo or any other project, I hope you guys got some ideas while following them. There are endless amounts of things you can do to figure out what you want to write about, surf the internet, watch YouTube videos about it, maybe you just need to take a walk outside and something will hit you.

Whatever you do make sure in the end you write something you truly are excited about. Have fun with it! 

If you would like to share some of the exercises I explained here or tell me some of your own novel ideas feel free to write it in the comments below. Ans as usual if have any questions or suggestions about anything in this post you may comment as well, I love talking to you guys.


If you liked this post follow my site here or subscribe by email. You can also find me on Goodreads, Pinterest, etc. which are all on the side, check me out there--------------------->>>>>

Until next time my loves! -Josie :)

4 comments:

  1. This is totally not involving much of your post (that I thank for such information!) but did you do Nano last November? Anyways, I love "what if's"! I think most writers get the most of interesting concepts from what ifs and some go way beyond the box and I love that. I love being inspired by authors. They help me point out what my flaws can be. Sometimes, I get scared I write like the author, but then I know that I couldn't be because we are all different.

    Wonderful tips! :D
    P.S. I know you changed your design from your coming back post, but I didn't see it because I was seeing it on my phone, but now that I see it on the computer, I love how it looks! Did you design it yourself?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't do NaNo last November :/ but I hope i can do it this year! It's great that you are inspired from many authors I know I am. Thanks by the way for noticing the new design! Although I wished I designed it I did not :) you da best Delaney -josie

      Delete
  2. Great tips! Especially the one of 'Think of Your Favorite Books' I do that one, and more than thinking about what I love about them, I also usually think of what I would have done/changed/improved. Books I didn't like a great for this sort of exercise.

    I actually did this with Fallen by Lauren Kate- I really didn't like it, but I thought some elements were really good. What I did was that I sort of re-wrote it, and through the course of two years I've been re-writing it and re-writing it and it has slowly taken shape into something unique to the point were you can't even tell it was inspired by Fallen.

    For this camp nanowrimo I don't think I'll be writing a new novel, I want to re-write a 100 page story I wrote 3 years ago - it's horrible, but I still like my idea ^^ I'd like to see if I can make it into something more :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty! This has bbeen aan incredibly wonderful post. Thank you for supplying this information.

    Check out my site :: buy youtube subscribers for a dollar

    ReplyDelete

Drop comments below! :)