Why Do Authors Write:Cindy Lyle

1. Tell us a little bit about yourself. Where are you from and when did you start writing?


I am a 35-year-old stay at home mom who loves my job. I have a beautiful 8-year-old daughter named Hannah and an 18-year old stepson named Josh. I have been married to my wonderful and supportive husband Joe for the past nine years and we live in Ontario, Canada. I guess I first started writing when I was still in high school although I never really thought I could go anywhere with it. Then life happened and my dreams were put on the back burner. It wasn’t until two years ago that I finally got my spark back and I began to write “The Dragon Within”.

2. Tell me about the books you have written and the most recent ones. How did you come up with the ideas?
The Dragon Within is my first novel
and unbelievably the basic idea came to me in a dream! I just woke up one morning with this amazing idea and fumbled around for something to write on before the ideas left me and my book grew from there.

3. How did you get so interested in the genre you write in?
I remember riding home from school on the bus one day (we lived on a horse farm about 20min from my school) and a friend of mine handed me a book. It was a Dragonlance novel and he told me I would like it. He was right! I ended up reading and owning almost all of the Dragonlance novels and my love of fantasy grew to encompass Terry Brooks, R.A Salvatore and many more. Fantasy for me is an escape and I love where my mind takes me!

4. What is the hardest part of writing to you?
I think the hardest part about writing is not being able to type fast enough! Sometimes my thoughts are just going a mile a minute and I wish I could just hook something up to my brain and download it!

5. What is a typical writing day for you? When and where do you write?
Usually the only time I get to write is when my daughter is at school or after she goes to bed. I have my own space with my computer and very messy notebooks and of course my tea! If I’m on a roll I can start writing as soon as I come back from dropping her off until I have to pick her up! Mind you, that’s when the supportive husband comes into play because that is usually the time I have set aside to do other things that need done. Like household stuff!

6. What advice would you give young writers who are reaching their goals to be an Author?
My advice is don’t give up and have confidence in yourself! Don’t be afraid of criticism and edit, edit, edit! I rewrote parts of my novel 4 or 5 times before it was the way I wanted it. Your story will only be as good as the effort you put into it!

7. Are you working on anything right now?
At the moment, I am focussing on promoting “The Dragon” within. I do have plans for a sequel and would very much like to make my story into a trilogy! In September when my daughter starts school again, I plan to start to write “The Dragon Calls”

8. Do you have any favorite books or authors?
I have lots of favorite books and authors! I’m quite a book hoarder! I love Terry Brooks, Terry Goodkind, Patricia Briggs, Devon Monk, the list could go on for hours! Some of my favorite books would be the Death Gate Cycle series and more recently The Casting Trilogy by Pamela Freeman.

9. Which book of yours would you most recommend?
Well since, I have only the one novel under my belt, it would have to be “The Dragon Within”! It is fun, exciting, and full of twists that I hope will leave my readers guessing and entertained.

10. Why do you write?
I think the main reason I write is because it allows me to express myself without making myself feel vulnerable to ridicule. I write fantasy because it is so easy to disguise real life problems and conflicts and have them seem so magical and mysterious. Fantasy is full of made up creatures and places but deep down each character is “human” and what they go through can easily be compared to real life. I like solving their problems and being a part of what makes them special to readers. When I write I feel powerful and confident and the feeling of someone else reading my thoughts and ideas is beyond words!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Drop comments below! :)